Monday, December 04, 2006

A very careful review of Batman Meets The Spirit

Darwin Cooke's art on this comic is as good as anyone could hope for, and I look forward eagerly to his forthcoming Spirit series. I don't understand why an otherwise classic style features Catwoman wearing her latest costume rather than one she wore when she was a villain, but that's a minor niggle, and it might not even have been Cooke's decision. In all other respects it is gorgeous, catching all the nuances of every single one of the pointlessly large cast.

I know if I wanted to get a Batman comic in which all the villains were defeated off-panel by Superman on the final page, that also featured The Spirit, this would certainly be top of my list.

6 comments:

Marionette said...

It's okay, that's a lie.

Anonymous said...

Cooke designed her current costume, which is probably why he went with it for this comic.

Marionette said...

There is that. Shame it's so jarringly out of place.

Anonymous said...

The Catwoman costume thing is just one of MANY continuity errors in the story. The most jarring for me was the inclusion of Harley Quinn in a story taking place during Dick's tenure as Robin. I think it is safe to say that this story takes place out of continuity, although it would have been nice if it weren't.

And the bajillion villains were probably just there because Jeph Loeb has a habit of cramming in as many bad guys as possible.

Anonymous said...

I think this particular tale is supposed to be less cannon and more like Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier where he takes artistic liberties to tell a story. I personally had no problems with the bits of continuity errors. I thought the issues was just plain fun!

Anonymous said...

I found the issue fun as well, I will be keeping it. I just think it could have easily kept all the fun (Batman's logo in his cape is great!)without having characters like Jim Gordon acting as idiots- "Miss Ivy" and a false moustache surely isn't the most demanding disguise to penetrate. A script where the Spirit's humanity allows him to do something the more mythic, distant and dramatically dominating Batman can't would have propelled this way past fun. I have high hopes for Darwyn's run.