She has also managed to keep her sense of personal value intact despite being the superhero equivalent of a rape survivor (2).
But it isn't that I admire her inner strength and forgive her irritating personality as an unfortunate byproduct. I like that she's annoying. Unlike many characters that are supposed to be endearingly roguish but just come off as creepy and bigoted, Kimiyo is supposed to be annoying. And where any other character who started off with negative traits would over time have all their rough edges smoothed away, Kimiyo has managed to remain annoying for twenty five years (3).
Admittedly, there was one period during the JLI years (4) when they tried to explain it away as an allergic reaction or something (5) but thankfully it didn't stick.
So just remember, DC. When Kimiyo Hoshi Doctor Light eventually returns in the relaunch (6), Don't even try to sugar-coat her. She's not supposed to be the nice one.
1) Or whatever the current writer thinks it is she has a doctorate in.
2) and it wasn't even thinly disguised; it was flat out stated by her abuser that what he was doing to her was rape
3) Happy quarter century Doctor L.
4) yes, Kimiyo was a charter member, and even leader at one point, of the JLI, though she never seems to get invited to the reunions.
5) does that count as a retcon?
6) and she will.
Heh. She's smart, and she knows it, she doesn't suffer fools gladly, and she is beautifully sarcastic. What's not to like?
Post a Comment